banner banner banner banner banner banner banner banner
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Big D & Bubba wake you up weekdays from 5-10am
Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- As residents of Puerto Rico brace for Hurricane Maria -- which slammed into the Caribbean as a Category 5 storm Monday night -- Puerto Rico's governor is calling the storm "the biggest and potentially most catastrophic hurricane to hit Puerto Rico in a century.”

Maria, which has left at least one dead in the Caribbean, is expected to move over the northeastern Caribbean Sea today and is forecast to "remain an extremely dangerous category 4 or 5 hurricane" as it approaches the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico tonight and Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center said.

Maria could bring life-threatening flooding and mudslides, as well as a 6- to 9-foot storm surge, to the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

The storm -- which is expected to bring life-threatening winds, storm surge and flooding -- will be violent, the governor of Puerto Rico warned today. The governor advised residents to be prepared to hunker down for 72 to 90 hours.

It's been just two weeks since Hurricane Irma, which killed at least 39 people in the Caribbean and demolished homes, tore through Puerto Rico, and now Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rossello is saying Maria is "potentially most catastrophic hurricane to hit" the U.S. territory in a century.

A Category 4 storm hasn't hit Puerto Rico directly since 1932.

Rossello said up to 25 inches of rain could fall in some areas and he urged anyone in a flood-prone, mudslide-prone or coastal area to leave. Over 300 people are already at shelters as of this afternoon, the governor said.

Rossello said a lot of infrastructure will likely be lost and he said communications will be affected.

While Puerto Rico residents appeared to go about their days with little urgency Monday, many seem to be on edge today as the storm nears.

In the capital of San Juan, most businesses are closed or closing early today and the San Juan Airport is closing this evening.

As Maria hit the Caribbean island of Dominica Monday night, Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit published a series of dire Facebook posts, calling the 160 mph winds "merciless."

"We do not know what is happening outside. We not dare look out ... we pray for its end!" Skerrit wrote.

Maria was the first Category 5 hurricane to make landfall on Dominica; before Monday the strongest hurricane to hit Dominica was Hurricane David, a Category 4 in 1979.

Guadeloupe and Martinique, which both neighbor Dominica in the Caribbean, were also battered with Maria's powerful winds and rain Monday night.

The prefecture of Guadeloupe said at least one person died and at least two are missing there.
Officials said 80,000 are without power on Guadeloupe and some flooding was reported, but few homes are damaged.

Dominica was "shut down" as the storm approached, said Anil Etienne, a spokesman for Dominica’s Office of Disaster Management. Etienne told ABC News officials were worried about flooding in low-lying areas and opened about 146 shelters.

The prime minister of Dominica wrote on Facebook late Monday night, "My roof is gone. I am at the complete mercy of the hurricane. House is flooding," before announcing, "I have been rescued."

Skerrit gave an update this morning, writing on Facebook, "Initial reports are of widespread devastation. So far we have lost all what money can buy and replace. My greatest fear for the morning is that we will wake to news of serious physical injury and possible deaths as a result of likely landslides triggered by persistent rains."

"The winds have swept away the roofs of almost every person I have spoken to or otherwise made contact with," he continued. "The roof to my own official residence was among the first to go and this apparently triggered an avalanche of torn away roofs in the city and the countryside."

After hitting Puerto Rico, the storm will begin to turn north and is expected to come near the Dominican Republic Wednesday afternoon, potentially with winds over 100 mph.

Maria is forecast to then continue north, avoiding the Turks and Caicos, the Bahamas and Florida, before ending up out to sea.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(JACKSONVILLE, Fla.) -- Employees at the Naval Hospital in Jacksonville, Florida, allegedly posted a video and photos of newborns to Snapchat, including a photo showing a worker smiling while flipping the middle finger at a newborn with the caption "how I currently feel about these mini Satans."

The Naval Hospital in Jacksonville has since removed employees from their jobs.

In addition to the photo, a video shows another employee wearing medical scrubs holding a newborn infant by the armpits while rocking the baby to rap music playing in the background.

“We are aware of a video / photo posted online," the hospital posted on its Facebook page late Monday night after the imagery had gone viral. "It's outrageous, unacceptable, incredibly unprofessional, and cannot be tolerated."

"We have identified the staff members involved," the statement continued. "They have been removed from patient care and they will be handled by the legal system and military justice. We're in the process of notifying the patient's parents.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Irfan Khan/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images(INDIO, Calif.) --  A recidivist jewel thief who became famous for her decades-long international crime spree is out of jail after her latest sentence.

Doris Payne, 86, has a long rap sheet of robberies to her name, but most recently was arrested at a Walmart in July when she allegedly violated the terms of her probation from an earlier sentence.

At a hearing on Friday, DeKalb Superior Court Judge Linda Hunter revoked Payne’s probation, sentenced her to time served and released her.

Payne had been charged with a misdemeanor for violating the terms of her three-year probation and ban from any mall in DeKalb County for admittedly stealing a $2,000 necklace, when she was arrested on July 18 at a Walmart in Chamblee, Georgia. She allegedly had stolen $86.22 worth of items from the store's pharmacy, grocery and electronics departments, ABC affiliate WSB-TV reported.

The misdemeanor shoplifting charge from that alleged incident is still pending and Payne is due to appear in court October 16, according to her attorney.

“She has a misdemeanor shoplifting charge from Chamblee, Georgia, that is currently pending and we will be aggressively defending her on that case," Marissa Goldberg, one of Payne's attorneys, told ABC News.

Payne has previously gotten out of jail early on good behavior.

Cynthia Williams, a public information officer for the Dekalb County Sheriff’s office confirmed to ABC News that Payne was released from custody before the end of the day Friday.

She was the subject of a 2013 documentary, "The Life and Crimes of Doris Payne," which described her as "a poor, single, African-American mother from segregated 1930s America" who became "one of the world’s most notorious and successful jewel thieves."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Ingram Publishing/Thinkstock(BATON ROUGE, La.) --A 23-year-old white man has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon and two counts of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated criminal damage to property and illegal use of a weapon by Baton Rouge, Louisiana, police today in connection with three shootings that took place this month.

Kenneth Gleason, 23, was arrested this morning by detectives from the Baton Rouge Police Department after a crime lab processed DNA evidence that allegedly linked Gleason to shell casings found at the scene of two of the shootings that left two black men dead, police said in a press conference.

Bruce Cofield, 59, and Donald Smart, 49, were both shot and killed within five miles of each other last week. In the shootings, the suspect first fired from his car and then exited the vehicle to shoot the victims while they were on the ground, according to police.

“Witness accounts in certain circumstances and ballistic analyzation of the homicides helped link the two,” Sgt. Don Coppola, a public information officer with the Baton Rouge Police Department, told ABC News.

Gleason allegedly also fired shots at a Sandy Ridge residence on Sept. 11. Police did not provide additional information.

Gleason was initially named as a “person of interest” in the investigation into the killings of Smart and Cofield.

“Gleason was occupying a vehicle that matched the description” of the one seen in the area of the killings, Coppola alleged.

On Sunday, Gleason was released from jail after being booked on two drug charges. He was arrested again on Monday for allegedly stealing "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" from a local bookstore last week, police said.

After the crime lab processed the DNA evidence this morning, Gleason was charged with the killings, police said.

While Baton Rouge Police spokesman Sgt. L'Jean McNeely told ABC News that the killings "could possibly be racially motivated," police said in a press release Tuesday that the "motive is still unclear and this is an ongoing investigation."

Police had initially questioned Gleason for hours and searched his home and his vehicle, but didn’t have enough evidence to charge him in the murders when he was arrested on drug charges on Saturday, McNeely said.

Law enforcement allegedly found schedule 1 narcotics – marijuana – and schedule 3 narcotics, which were “some kind of human growth hormone” at Gleason’s house on Saturday, Coppola said, and Gleason was arrested.

Gleason was released Sunday on bond, which had been set at $3,500.

Neither Gleason nor his family responded to ABC News’ request for comment.

Coppola said he was not aware if Gleason had any previous criminal record, and a background check showed only a traffic violation that had been dismissed by the court from earlier this year.

Police said Cofield, who was homeless, was killed on Tuesday. Smart was shot on Thursday while he was on his way to work at a cafe.
The Smart family has not commented on Gleason’s arrest.

The district attorney's office said it was too early to know if Gleason has legal representation.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(ST.LOUIS) -- It's been four straight nights of civil unrest in St. Louis, Missouri, after former police officer Jason Stockley was acquitted of murder in the death of Anthony Lamar Smith.

The protests have been marked by a police force digging-in behind an acting police chief who, after the third night, stated that his force "owned" the night.

Indeed, every night, the arrest tally swelled during a mix of peaceful protests and violent flare-ups; police said they wanted to tamp down on property destruction and assaults against their own.

“I’m proud to tell you the City of St. Louis is safe and the police owned tonight,” Lawrence O’Toole, the acting police chief, told reporters on Monday.

Powering these daily rallies have been mostly peaceful protesters who have used creative tactics to emphasize their anger and demand for radical change after another white police officer was acquitted in the fatal shooting a black man under murky circumstances.

The rally cry started on Friday after St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson found Stockley, 36, not guilty of first-degree murder and armed criminal action.

ABC News spoke to some of the mothers, religious leaders and students who have come out each night. Some have direct ties to Ferguson, Missouri, where in 2014 the police officer who shot and killed unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown was not asked to face charges or disciplinary action.

Name: Reverend Clinton Stancil
Age: 54
Occupation: Reverend of Wayman AME Church in St. Louis

“It’s not peaceful, it’s nonviolent,” said Rev. Clinton Stancil just before the fourth day of protests got underway on Monday evening at the University Loop St. Louis, Missouri.

Stancil is one of the original advocates for young protesters to take action and cause economic disruption in the city’s most bustling areas of commerce. Protestors have tactically marched to strategic centers of the city –- the malls, downtown and nightlife hotspots. Once there, he said, his group intends to cause nonviolent disruption in the business community in order to be heard.

“Kill their economy until they stop killing their kids,” is the core of the strategy, he said.

Affecting the city's commerce is what Rev. Stancil believes will force the government to take their protests seriously.

He believes the message of Black Lives Matter hasn't wavered.

“We can never say all lives matter until black lives matter," he said. "White brother and sisters that are standing in solidarity need to speak up in this community."

Rev. Stancil said protesting is one of the ways to bring the youth of St. Louis together, with support and guidance.

The movement, he said, has evolved since the protests in Michael Brown’s name in Ferguson; the Anthony Lamar Scott protests are more strategic.

In Ferguson, protesters damaged their own community businesses and neighborhoods.

Rev. Stencil hopes that this time protesters learn from Ferguson and focus on mass disruption.

“We are no longer going to set fire," he said, as he was heading into a meeting to devise where the next protest would be held. "We are going to disrupt until we get a seat at the table and a change in policy where police are held accountable for their actions."

Name: Fredrick "Fred" Scott
Age: 65
Occupation: Retired and father of four sons

Fred Scott came out during the protests and defiantly raised his handmade sign that reads, "Stop killing us!"

It was a departure from his Ferguson sign that read: “Go kill Isis and leave us alone.”

He said he has made it a mission to try to be on the streets during every protest calling out questionable police tactics.

“I’m out there to represent the black brothers in the U.S.," he said. "I’m there to support the young black people or any black man."

As a father raising four black sons, ranging from the ages of 24 to 50, in St. Louis, Scott feels he has a duty to be out and amongst the protests as opposed to watching them on the television.

The retiree has encouraged his sons to join the protests too.

His sons were with him protesting in Ferguson and the Scotts have taken their family unit to protest in St. Louis.

“I try to gather them when I can, to teach them the right way so they know for the future,” he said.

Over the past four days and whenever he and his sons attend any protest, Scott maintains that he and his sons follow the police instructions and always march peacefully.

Despite the headway he feels has been made since Ferguson, Scott laments that the destruction hasn't stopped.

“I’m not trying to be destructive, I’m fed up," he said as the sun began setting in the city. "Being a black man with black sons is scary."

Name: Anna Robinson
Age: 20
Title: Freshman at the St. Louis Community College at Forest Park

Anna Robinson had never been to a protest before, but the chants and the amassing crowds outside of her downtown apartment downtown over the past days changed that.

The student rushed downstairs and asked some of the protesters how she could get involved. The answer, they told her, was to stay outside.

Robinson became a part of the cause and now she is also considering a law enforcement studies major.

"I really didn’t know what I was expecting," she said. "It was one of those experiences that gives you an interesting perspective of what’s really going on.”

After 30 minutes, she said the peaceful protest turned surly with St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson's home windows getting smashed and she said she saw some infighting amongst the protesters.

The experience has reinforced her desire to help those she sees as disenfranchised.

"There are corrupt cops out there, and I do not think that most cops are like that,” Robinson said.

She said the diverse crowd of protesters was a surprise. She described seeing Hispanic, white, black and Asian activists, as well as retired cops and soldiers, working in solidarity.

Robinson said she wants to help Black Lives Matter and plans to attend more of the protests in St. Louis, as long as they stay peaceful.

Name: Michelle Higgins
Age: 36
Title: Director of Faith for Justice

Something about the man in the crowd during Saturday night's rally didn't sit right with Michelle Higgins.

She said he was dressed in plainclothes and walking with a German shepherd, but she said he wasn't blending in.

"He was clearly a cop trying to keep undercover, but that was triggering," she said.

ABC News cannot confirm the identity of the man or why he was present.

But the fact that a dog was walked out into the crowd of protesters hit Higgins hard. She said it hearkened back to the Civil Rights Movement's past when dogs "were trained to attack us."
Higgins said she is encouraged by what she calls "the season of protest."

The past days have been speaking to not only Smith's death but everyday atrocities.

"What is unseen is how endangered black lives are and how hostile police are trained to be against black lives," she said.

She believes how police are being taught from the beginning needs to change.

"When police take to the street they are trained to fear us before they hear us," she said.

After Ferguson, Higgins said that black people became "more and more aware of their political power."

She said coming out strong in St. Louis day after day has reinforced the message and represents positive change.

"We can strike a healthy fear in places where power is held," she said.

Name: Emily Davis
Age: 41
Title: Mother of three children

Emily Davis is from Ferguson, Missouri.

In the past four days, she has done everything possible to not miss protests in St. Louis.

The effort isn't merely helping but also setting an example to her kids ages 6, 10, and 11-years-old.

"It's the right thing to do," she said. "I need my kids to see that it's not okay to stand there and watch ... It's not okay. I need them to see me doing something."

She's brought her own signs to the cause, including: "Due to injustice road closed."

The motive behind her efforts is to maintain the spirit of protest in the streets after the marches end.

"We've been out there writing policies, knocking on doors in our neighborhoods," she said. "We're coming at this from all directions."

The mother, who said she was still going out again even after being pepper-sprayed and tear-gassed during the previous nights, wants more to happen.

"We haven't solved the problem yet."

She believes the public should "demand accountability" and so-called "good cops" to "stand up againstthe bad ones."

"Communities would be safer, the police would be safer and people from every background would be safer," she said.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(ATLANTA) -- Three people were arrested and students were ordered to shelter in place at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta on Monday as violent protests erupted in response to the police shooting death of a student who allegedly had a knife, the university.

The protests broke out after a peaceful vigil for Georgia Tech student Scout Schultz, 21, who was fatally shot by police late Saturday night after he called 911 to report an armed and possibly intoxicated suspicious person, authorities said.

A police vehicle was set on fire, two officers suffered minor injuries and one officer was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries during the "violent protests on campus," according to the university.


Georgia Tech right now.

— ㅤSebastian (@RealSebGonz) September 19, 2017


The university estimated that a about 50 people participated in the protests, including some who marched to the the Georgia Tech Police Department immmdiately after the "peaceful memorial vigil" for Schultz.

At one point, Georgia Tech police ordered students to stay inside and lock their doors, while off-campus students were told to remain off campus.

“Seek shelter in a secure location until further notice. Lock all doors and windows. Take Immediate Action Now,” the Georgia Tech Department said in a tweet at 9:28 p.m. Monday.

Video posted on social media showed a police vehicle on fire and officers pinning people to the ground while witnesses yelled in the background.

Police said they restored order by 11 p.m. Monday and gave students the “all clear” to resume normal activities.

Three people were arrested and charged with inciting a riot and battery of an officer, a university spokesperson said. Police told students to "expect additional patrols throughout campus tonight" and asked them to report "anything suspicious."

In a statement released through attorney Chris Stewart, Schultz's family urged protesters to remain peaceful.

"[W]e ask that those who wish to protest Scout's death do so peacefully. Answering violence with violence is not the answer," the statement said. "Our goal is to work diligently to make positive change at Georgia Tech in an effort to ensure a safer campus for all students."

"Scout's family respects the rights of those who wish to voice opposition to what they feel was an unnecessary use of force, but they ask that it be done respectfully and safely," the statement added.

Earlier on Monday, Stewart described Schultz as a loving child who lost his life simply because the police overreacted.

He said Schultz was barefoot and "disoriented," in the middle of a "mental breakdown" when he was shot.

“Scout should not have been shot,” Stewart told reporters Monday. “There has to be a bigger value put on taking a human life than fear when you are doing your job.”

Stewart also accused the school of handling the situation poorly and pushing a narrative that Schultz was a "knife-wielding" threat despite evidence suggesting otherwise.

Scout Schultz's father, William Schultz, said Schultz had a 3.9 GPA and was scheduled to graduate in December.

Scout Schultz served as president of the Georgia Tech Pride Alliance, and a leading voice within the campus’ LGBTQ community. Scout Schultz identified as nonbinary and intersex and prefers to use the pronouns they, them and their, according to the group's web site.

ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The days of Latanya Simpson being a shy and timid student are a thing of the past.

“My 9th grade year I was kind of not sure of myself,” Simpson said. “I didn’t have the confidence I really needed.”

Simpson, 19, started to believe in herself after taking a humanities class at Codman Academy Charter Public School in Boston with her teacher, Sydney Chaffee. Simpson said having Sydney as her teacher was “the best thing” that could have happened to her.

“She made learning fun. I felt comfortable raising my hands, asking questions, and Sydney would stop in the middle of teaching just to reteach and go over whatever questions any student had,” said Simpson.

Chaffee, 34, is the 2017 national teacher of the year and has been an educator for the past 10 years. She said she finds it amusing to hear that Simpson wasn’t confident because she “was a star” during the class.

“She got on stage and had so much confidence and she had such presence and such a voice,” said Chaffee. “When you see students step into who they’re able to be, and you see students step into their own confidence and step into their own voice, that reminds me of how powerful the job is.”

Simpson is now a sophomore at Providence College in Rhode Island.

She said the confidence she gained from Sydney’s class is helping her speak up in packed lecture halls and mentoring new students on campus.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Chris was an 11-year-old Boy Scout in New Jersey when he says his life became consumed with a dark secret.

“You do everything you can to block it out of your mind,” he said.

Chris, whose last name “Nightline” is withholding at his request, says his Boy Scout troop leader, Stephen Corcoran, sexually abused him hundreds of times over five years, from the time he was 11 until he was 16.

“I couldn’t even tell you every location it happened in,” Chris said. “It became it became that normal.”

Chris claims Corcoran began paying special attention to him as soon as he joined the troop and eventually became a trusted family friend. But along the way, according to Chris, things took a sickening turn.

Weeks after he hit puberty, Chris said Corcoran took him over to his apartment before one of their troop meetings and said, “Hey, I got some beer in the fridge for you. Help yourself.”

“Then he breaks out a stash of porn,” Chris said. “Then one thing led to another, but at that point, you know, I was 11 and essentially intoxicated … not knowing what to do, what was happening to my body.”

“I was literally frozen,” he continued. “I just couldn’t move.”

Chris, now an adult, said he is finally sharing his story publically, two decades later. His adulthood, he said, is plagued by depression, anxiety and anger.

“I’ve had this kind of whirlwind of mess throughout my adult life,” he said. “I’m still dealing with this, like it happened yesterday.”

Chris, along with two other former Boy Scouts who also allege Corcoran abused them, have filed a lawsuit against the Boy Scouts of America, saying the organization did not do enough to prevent the sexual abuse.

“Who's the only guy in the troop without a kid there ... and then look at his interaction with the kids,” Chris said. “If you knew there was a problem like this and someone was down there with knowledge of what ‘grooming’ looks like you're going to spot it in five minutes. They chose not to do this.”

Chris said there was no escaping the abuse and eventually, he said, he was spending hours at a time with Corcoran.

The abuse, he said, even continued on troop outings, including a group ski trip. Chris has a photo from that trip that shows an unidentified adult man in his underwater sitting next to him.

“Those are his boxers,” Chris said, pointing to the man in the photo. “So at what point does someone say, ‘Hey there's a problem here.’ How does someone not realize that there's an issue?”

He said Corcoran openly provided young scouts with alcohol, adding that on some of their away trips, “he literally turned it into a booze fest.”

In one instance, Chris said an adult friend of Corcoran’s allegedly witnessed the sexual abuse, catching him and Corcoran together, and confronted Corcoran about it.

“Steve told me he played it off,” Chris said. “He said, ‘You need to be more careful in the future,’ and that friend just disappeared out of the troop ... He didn’t like to do what normal people would do and call the police.”

Chris said the abuse finally ended when he was 16 years old, but by then, his former Scout leader had become a family friend and was even a guest at his wedding.

“I can’t believe the guy made it at my wedding,” Chris said. “Unfortunately, I originally left them off the list for the wedding, and my wife asked me, ‘What about him?’ And I remember I didn't have an answer to say no. Like how could I? At the time I couldn't justify saying no without telling the truth.”

Chris’s wife Tina said she had no idea the pain Chris said he suffered as a child and that Chris opened up to her about it when they were almost six years into their marriage.

“He said, ‘Steve abused me,’ and that was it,” Tina said. “It was like a one statement: ‘Steve abused me.' I mean I had no clue, no earthly idea.”

After he told her, Tina said she then started to notice the pain on Chris’s face in their wedding photos taken with Corcoran.

Chris said he also finally confided in his attorney at the time.

“I broke down in absolute tears and I just told him,” he said. “I told him exactly what happened.”

In a statement to ABC News, The Boy Scouts of America said the organization is “outraged there have been times when Scouts were abused and we sincerely apologize to victims and their families... in the many years since these alleged actions occurred, we have continued to evaluate and strengthen our efforts to protect youth.”

Attorney Bruce Nagel, who represents Chris in his civil suit against the organization, said they hope their lawsuit will “bring to light that this is an epidemic throughout the United States.”

“People need to be educated, that there is sexual abuse going on through the United States in the Boy Scouts,” Nagel added.

Corcoran’s attorney maintains that his client is innocent of the abuse allegations. But in a separate case, Corcoran, now 49, was found guilty of possession of child pornography. In June, he was sentenced to seven years in prison.

If he could say anything to Corcoran now, Chris said he would ask him “why me?”

“For some reason he chose me,” Chris continued. “I don’t know.”

This is not the first time The Boy Scouts of America have been accused of harboring abusers in its ranks of scout leaders.

In 2010, a Portland, Oregon, jury awarded former scout Kerry Lewis almost $20 million in damages for the sexual abuse he said he suffered in the ‘80s by former assistant Scoutmaster Timur Dykes.

Lewis’ attorneys successfully argued that at the time the Boy Scouts of America knew Dykes had a history of child molestation. Dykes, who eventually served prison time for charges related to sex with minors, admitted as early as 1983 that he had molested 17 boys.

"If you put the interests of your organization ahead of the safety of children, the guardians of our community's safety, which we call juries, will hold you accountable," said Kelly Clark, one of Lewis’ attorneys.

Released files detail alleged abuse in Boy Scouts

The month-long trial also revealed the Scouts kept secret files of alleged child molesters for decades.

The Los Angeles Times spent a year creating a database of the Boy Scouts files. Reporter Kim Christensen led the newspaper’s investigation.

“The perversion files, which is a term used internally by the Boy Scouts, are about 5,000 files of alleged and in some cases proven sexual abuse in the Boy Scouts,” Christensen said. “The whole idea of the perversion files with the scouts was they were intended to keep abusive scout leaders from rejoining after they’d been found out.”

According to the L.A. Times analysis, the alleged abuse occurred throughout the country and followed a similar pattern.

“The abusive scout leaders would often groom the kids,” she said. “You know, buy them alcohol, show them porn, take them to ball games just to kind of bring them into their confidence, into their sphere, and then the abuse would start.”

The newspaper said that in many cases, the Boy Scouts did not report the alleged abuser to authorities, leaving the alleged victims to suffer in secret.

“It’s a lifelong scarring thing for a lot of these kids,” Christensen said. “Some of these guys say, ‘It’s something I’ve been dealing with by myself for 40 years.’”

The Boy Scouts of America says it has since implemented new policies including criminal background checks for adult leaders, requiring two or more adults to be present at all times during scouting activities, prompt mandatory reporting of any allegation or suspicion of abuse, and a help line to report suspected abuse.

As for Chris, he is trying to move forward. He and Tina are expecting their second child in November – a boy. Both said they would never allow their son to enter Boy Scouts. Chris said intense therapy and the support of his wife is helping him heal.

“If and when he wants to tell me more than he already has, he will,” Tina said. “But he just needs someone to take care of him.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(BATON ROUGE, La.) -- The killings of two black men in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, last week "could possibly be racially motivated" but police are "still looking at other motives," Baton Rouge Police spokesman Sgt. L'Jean McNeely told ABC News Sunday.

Bruce Cofield, 59, and Donald Smart, 49, were both shot and killed within five miles of each other last week. In the shootings, the suspect first fired from his car and then exited the vehicle to shoot the victims while they were on the ground, according to police.

“Witness accounts in certain circumstances and ballistic analyzation of the homicides helped link the two,” Sgt. Don Coppola, a public information officer with the Baton Rouge Police Department, told ABC News Monday.

Police have named Kenneth Gleason, 23, as a “person of interest” in the investigation. “Gleason was occupying a vehicle that matched the description” of the one seen in the area of the killings, Coppola said.

On Sunday, Gleason was released from jail after being booked on two drug charges. Gleason has not been charged in relation to the killings.

“This investigation is ongoing, Gleason is still a person of interest, and through the investigation, if it is learned that there is any other individual or individuals who could be other persons of interest, investigators will look into them as well,” Coppola said.

Police had questioned Gleason for many hours and searched his home and his vehicle, but didn’t have enough evidence to charge him in the murders, McNeely said.

But law enforcement found schedule 1 narcotics – marijuana – and schedule 3 narcotics, which were “some kind of human growth hormone” at Gleason’s house on Saturday, Coppola said, and Gleason was arrested.

Gleason was released Sunday on bond, which had been set at $3,500, but has "not been cleared" in the investigation into the two shootings, police said.

Neither Gleason nor his family responded to ABC News’ request for comment.

Coppola said he was not aware if Gleason had any previous criminal record, and a background check showed only a traffic violation that had been dismissed by the court from earlier this year. Police declined to say whether there are other persons of interest in the case, citing the ongoing investigation.

“Being that the investigation is ongoing, investigators are diligently working to have these homicides solved,” Coppola said.

Police said Cofield, who was homeless, was killed on Tuesday. Smart was shot on Thursday while he was on his way to work at a cafe.

The district attorney's office had not responded Monday to ABC News' request as to whether Gleason has legal representation or when he is due to appear in court on the two drug charges.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Hurricane Maria was upgraded to a Category 5 storm, the National Hurricane Center said Monday night, as islands including Puerto Rico brace for the impact.

Maria is anticipated to approach the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico on Wednesday. The storm might make landfall on the eastern side of Puerto Rico and could bring major damage to the U.S. territory late Wednesday morning and into the afternoon -- two weeks to the day since Hurricane Irma tore through Puerto Rico, killing at least three.

At 8 p.m. ET on Monday night the center of the storm was located about 15 miles east-southeast of Dominica as it closed in on the Caribbean island. Sustained winds were up to 160 mph as the storm moved west-northwest at 9 mph.

Evacuation orders have been issued for parts of Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rossello said starting midday Tuesday, conditions will begin to deteriorate and the island could get between 12 and 18 inches of rain.

Rossello encouraged residents to execute emergency plans immediately. “Now is the moment to save lives,” he said.

Officials said 450 shelters will be opened starting this afternoon and warned of possible catastrophic damage and a possible collapse of the “vulnerable” electrical system.

“Flood-prone areas must be abandoned," said Public Security Secretary Héctor Pesquera. "If not, you will die."

The governor said a federal emergency declaration was requested.

On Monday, President Trump ordered federal assistance to supplement the response efforts in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Most models are forecasting Maria will stay away from Florida and the United States mainland.

Today Maria is churning in the Atlantic Ocean and is set to travel across the Caribbean, likely affecting islands including the British and U.S. Virgin Islands, on its way toward Puerto Rico

It was just weeks ago when Irma devastated several Caribbean islands, killing at least 39 people.

Some Caribbean islands, like Guadeloupe and Dominica, are likely to get a direct hit from the powerful hurricane this afternoon or evening.

Dominica was "shut down" as the storm approached, said Anil Etienne, a spokesperson for Dominica’s Office of Disaster Management.

Etienne told ABC News officials are worried about flooding in low-lying areas and have opened about 146 shelters.

Dominica’s prime minister, Roosevelt Skerrit, said at a news conference today, "This is not a time for heroism. This much water in Dominica is dangerous given our terrain, and therefore persons should not wait for something to happen in order to take action.”

As Maria approaches Antigua and Barbuda, the islands' officials are warning residents not to be complacent after Irma, which devastated Barbuda.

Philmore Mullin, the head of the National Office of Disaster Services for Antigua and Barbuda, spoke to Antigua and Barbuda's national broadcaster ABS today, urging those in low-lying areas to evacuate and not to wait until the last minute since water can sometimes rise very quickly.

Mullin added that they are prepared and over 40 shelters will be opened for Maria.

"We cannot afford to be complacent -- it is a hurricane," Mullin said. "We need to pull out all the stops and prepare for an impact just in case."

After passing Puerto Rico this week, Maria is expected to graze the Dominican Republic before it moves north toward Turks and Caicos and eventually into the Atlantic Ocean.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(BOARDMAN TOWNSHIP, Ohio) -- An Ohio dad's apparent effort to "scare" his 6-year-old daughter with a clown mask went awry this weekend after he chased the girl into a stranger’s apartment, prompting the man to open fire in the direction of her father outside in an attempt to protect her.

Boardman Township, Ohio police responded to the scene at just after 10 p.m. on Saturday, where they found Vernon Barrett Jr., 25, standing outside of 48-year-old Dion Santiago's home, according to a police report.

Barrett, the girl's father, had been struggling to discipline his daughter after her mother was sentenced to four years in prison for child endangering after she had broken "several of [the 6-year-old's] ribs and stepped on her," according to the police report.

Barrett, the police report states, told officials that he "decided to use the clown mask into scaring her to behave" and that this was simply a "prank" that started from their apartment.

But Santiago's 22-year-old son, Dion Santiago Jr., told ABC News the girl seemed to be in dire need of help.

“We absolutely were protecting her,” Dion Santiago Jr. said. “She fell into our laps and was running for her life. It was completely unexpected but what else were we to do?”

While fleeing her father, Barrett's daughter first jumped into a female driver's car, "screaming she was being chased by a clown," the police report states. Barrett, wearing the clown mask, then allegedly pulled his daughter out of the car, but she managed to break free and ran toward Santiago's apartment. Meanwhile, the woman called 911.

The girl opened Santiago's "unlocked door" and asked Santiago and his family "if she could stay with them because a clown was chasing her," according to the police report.

Santiago turned off the lights of the home and "looked out his apartment window and observed Barrett standing outside of the building with a clown mask on," the police report states. Santiago, who later admitted to police that "he had a few beers" while watching TV, then "grabbed his firearm and fired a shot out of his window," the police report states.

Santiago later told police that "he was frightened" by the 6-year-old girl entering his home "without permission," adding that clowns have been chronicled on the news as "chasing people" and that he was trying to protect his son, daughter and his son's girlfriend, who were in the apartment with him, from harm. He told police he only pointed the firearm "into the yard of the building next door" and that he "never aimed it at Barrett," according to the police report.

Barrett was charged with inducing panic and child endangering, while Dion Santiago was charged using weapons while intoxicated, according to the police report.

Both men have been released pending court appearances at a later date, the police report states. It's unclear whether they have obtained lawyers. Dion Santiago Jr. said his father is supposed to be in court this week and doesn’t have an attorney yet.

Boardman Township Police Det. Sgt. Chuck Hillman told ABC News that the town just south of Youngstown has had its share of clown sightings and said he hopes this incident is an anomaly.

"As with a lot of areas in the country, we have had a lot of clown sighting incidents," he said. "This is the first time anything like this has happened recently."

He added: "Hopefully it doesn't restart that drama again."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

Louisiana State University(BATON ROUGE, La.) -- The Phi Delta Theta fraternity has shuttered its Louisiana State University (LSU) chapter "effective immediately" after a freshman pledge died last week.

After Maxwell Gruver, 18, of Georgia, died the morning of Sept. 14, LSU police launched an investigation into his death as a potential hazing incident. The university president said Thursday that allegations involved alcohol and hazing but stressed that the investigation was evolving.

The tragedy also prompted all Greek activities to be suspended at LSU.

The East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner’s Office said Gruver's preliminary autopsy found no internal or external trauma but noted that he had excessive fluid in the lungs and brain and that he had "a highly elevated blood alcohol level plus the presence of THC."

Phi Delta Theta General Headquarters said in a statement today that the decision to suspend the chapter "was based on the preliminary findings of an investigation that uncovered enough information to conclude that some chapter members were in violation of established risk management policies, including our Alcohol-Free Housing policy."

Phi Delta Theta said in a statement that it "will continue to support the ongoing investigations by both

LSU and local law enforcement and encourage authorities to prosecute those involved to the fullest extent of the law."

"The Fraternity will also continue its internal investigation to completely understand the situation in order to hold all of those who violated its risk management policies accountable for their actions," the statement said.

The fraternity said it will also review its health and safety policies and educational programs and "is committed to enacting any new initiatives to help prevent similar situations in the future."

Bob Biggs, executive vice president and CEO of Phi Delta Theta, said in the statement, “We continue to keep the entire Gruver family in our thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time.”

"This incident serves as a stark reminder of why we need to continue to educate our undergraduates on the dangers of alcohol, hazing, and be constantly vigilant to ensure our risk management policies are fully implemented.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- The driver of a tour bus who was killed in a Monday morning bus crash in New York City that left two others dead was a former New York Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) employee who was fired for cause in 2015 when it was discovered he had been arrested for driving under the influence, the MTA said.

This morning’s fiery crash was captured on stunning surveillance video, which shows the moment when a Dahlia charter bus barreled into the MTA bus at one of the most densely packed intersections in Queens in New York City.

The crash left three people dead and 19 others injured, according to the MTA. Four of those injured are in critical condition, the MTA said Monday evening.

In the video, provided to ABC News by ABC station WABC in New York, the MTA bus is seen turning a corner in Flushing just after 6:15 a.m. when the Dahlia bus crashes into it. The crash sent the charter bus onto the sidewalk and into a restaurant, sparking a small fire, officials said. The fire was quickly put out by firefighters, who treated the injured.

The charter bus' speedometer was photographed at the scene stuck at 60 mph — twice the speed limit in the intersection. While investigators have not determined why the bus was apparently going that fast, sources said investigators have recovered enough surveillance video to conclude the charter bus was speeding when it crossed the intersection.

Raymond Mong, who died in the crash, was the driver of the tour bus that slammed into the MTA bus. The MTA began the process of firing Mong in 2015 after learning he was arrested for driving under the influence in New Haven, Conn., sources familiar with the investigation tell ABC News. At some point after, he was hired by Dahlia.

Connecticut state police confirm that Mong was indeed arrested for drunk driving in April 2015 after causing a pileup on the off-ramp of a highway. Mong "fled the scene," but was later located and arrested, police records show.

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles was notified of the DUI and informed the MTA, which began the grievance process, according to sources familiar with the investigation. Mong was pulled from the road and fired by the MTA soon after.

On Monday, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said, "It's just shocking to see the scene."

"It's hard to compare it to anything I've seen — the sheer destruction from the impact of this collision," he said.

"We want to make sure we understand exactly what happened and prevent this from ever happening again," said Joe Lhota, the chairman of the MTA.

In addition to Mong, those killed were a passenger on the MTA bus and a passer-by who was run over, according to officials. Sources briefed on the investigation said the victims were Mong, 49; the passenger Gregory Liljefors, 55; and the pedestrian, Henry Wdowiak, 68.

The MTA bus driver, a 10-year veteran, is in a hospital in noncritical condition. He is being interviewed about the collision.

According to federal records, Dahlia has been cited multiple times for speeding violations. Because of its history of violations, Dahlia was prioritized by federal officials for more frequent unannounced inspections, said an official from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

The National Transportation Safety Board is sending a team to investigate the crash.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed -- One year after the death of Harambe, the 17-year-old silverback gorilla who was shot by zoo officials after a 3-year-old boy climbed into his enclosure, the Cincinnati Zoo has welcomed a new gorilla to its exhibit.

Mshindi, a 29-year-old male Western Lowland Silverback gorilla, was moved from the Louisville Zoo to the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden through the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) Species Survival Plan (SSP), which serves as a safeguard for animals facing extinction in the wild.

He's the first gorilla to be added to the Cincinnati Zoo since Harambe's controversial death in May 2016.

Michelle Curley, communications director for the Cincinnati Zoo, told ABC News that SSP, the group that manages more than 360 gorillas across the U.S., determined that the zoo was an appropriate fit for Mshindi due to the amount of space and correct social setup.

"[Mshindi] has settled in really nicely and it’s been a smooth transition," Curley said. Mshindi arrived at the end of August.

Curley said Mshindi is already exploring his outdoor facility and will eventually be put into a group with two female gorillas.

"They don't have a breeding recommendation but that could change in the future," she said.

She added, "Sometimes the introduction process takes some time. Right now he has visual contact with the ladies, but it is whenever he seems like he’s ready, but I would say within this month or October."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The NYPD is investigating reports of nooses that were allegedly found in two different Brooklyn neighborhoods recently.

The nooses were discovered hanging from trees outside of libraries in Bedford-Stuyvesant and Crown Heights, ABC New York station WABC reported. An NYPD spokesperson told ABC News the department is aware of the reported incidents and currently investigating.

"We can’t release any information at this time because it is an ongoing investigation," the spokesperson said.

Community activists are outraged by the discovery.

"It's an act of intimidation for the community and we want to make sure that people are aware what's going on and that we will not be intimidated," Henry Butler, the district manager for Community Board 3 of Bedford-Stuyvesant, told WABC.

ABC News reached out to City Councilman Robert Cornegy, who represents the district that includes the areas where the nooses were allegedly found, for comment but did not immediately hear back.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved


On Air Now
Jason Allan
Jason Allan
3:00pm - 8:00pm
Today's Best Country & Yesterday's Favorites!
Make An E-Quest
My Profile

Big D & Bubba ON DEMAND


Big D & Bubba now have links to their

Podcast and Interview pages!

Click the Links below for more...





Big D & Bubba...weekdays from 5-10AM on 97.5 The Hound!

Local Weather
Hound Poll
Have you donated, in any way, to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts?
View Results
LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services